Welcome to our Website!
Holy Monastery of Christ the Savior
The Holy Monastery is located by the sea, on the North-West side of the city of Rethymno, in the area of Koumbes. The Catholicon of the Holy Monastery has two aisles and the first - chronologically - aisle is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ and the second one to Saint John the Forerunner..
According to written sources, in the area where the current Monastery of Christ the Savior is located, there was an Orthodox monastery for monks during the Venetian period.
We have a clear depiction of the Holy Monastery of Christ the Saviour, Koumbe, in the wonderful oil painting by an anonymous Rethemnian painter, from the year 1620
The painting in question is located in the City Hall of the city and depicts the city of Rethymno during the last period of the Cretan Renaissance. The depiction of the Holy Monastery on the hill of Koumbe documents its architectural and structural existence. From this information, it is clear that at the beginning of the 17th century, the Monastery was founded and functioned as a monastery.